Tuesday, November 27, 2012

David Wise


David Wise is a cartoon mastermind injecting the most interesting and well thought out concepts into the genre. His work starts with Star Trek animated, he is the reason and the core of the Ninja Turtles cartoons, and worked on many other series such as Wildcats, He-Man, Transformers, Batman, etc...

1. Let’s start at the beginning, you wrote “How Sharp a Serpent’s Tooth “for the animated Star Trek series when you were sixteen. Can you explain that? What were you reading at the time? That episode is prolific. It’s one of my top ten “Saturday Morning Mystery Cult “episodes! (Themes of which were represented in a similar way in Tarzan the cartoon)
I was reading all sorts of things at the time (as I always am). The idea for "Serpent's Tooth" came from Erich Von Daniken's book "Chariots of the Gods?” a book I found highly amusing though I don't agree with his theories (many of which have since been debunked.)
"This is not a question in there but I'm gonna mention this anyway, cause I have you fans here...I did not come up with Carter, Carter was CBS' idea, Dregg was created by somebody else and (inaudible) that's a whole nother story. I was just TOLD TO DO IT! - David Wise Interview at VIMEO

2. You mention in an interview that Dregg and Carter were demands of the network at the time, can you explain this?
Dregg was created by another writer who the network wanted running the show at the start of the 9th season. I very quickly wound up replacing him, but the network wanted Dregg to stay. The Carter character was created by a network exec, who wanted a "new character to freshen up the show."

3. Also why is the similarly sounding “Dregit“in Invasion America voiced by Tony Jay as well?
Probably because Tony Jay was a highly talented voice actor. I never had anything to do with any TMNT voice casting, and I had absolutely involvement with the show "Invasion America" whatsoever, so I can't really answer that question.

4. Why is the Federal Reserve in the same city as the WTC buildings?
I have no idea what you're referring to here. The TMNT series was never "officially" set in a real city.

5. Why is Carter identical to a rapper who claims “I am not a human being “who is named Carter a.k.a Lil Wayne.
Because lots of people are named Carter. Lil Wayne's debut album was released 5 years after the Carter episodes aired. Also, the TMNT Carter IS a human being!

6. Are the aliens secretly after “monatomic gold “? Please elaborate on any detail you can in this area.
Are you talking about "Invasion America" here? I had nothing to do with that show. If you're talking about Dregg, the answer is no, and I'd never even heard the term until your question.

7. Why were all of the Sunbow shows point blank obsessed with the Temple of Set, mind control (often psychotronic) and false flag alien invasions?
They were obsessed with the Temple of Set? Not mine. Whatever it is, it doesn't appear, nor is it mentioned in any of my scripts. As for mind control and "false flag alien invasions," these are certainly useful plot devices and are used in many, many action-adventure/SF shows, not just Sunbow's.

8. Why do so many of these shows seem to have knowledge of contemporary conspiracy or whistle blower type data before the researchers do?
I don't think you can point to any of my scripts as having these qualities! I can't answer for anyone else.

9. Was the Eye of Braxus inspired by P.K.D.’s Valis experience?
No. I had not read VALIS at the time I wrote the script. (read it around 2000.)

10. So much of your work is about trans dimensional doorways or assimilative archon/alien type deities who possess the body or appear as spiritual beings? Does this originate from any nonfiction interest you may have?
No. If anything, it stems from my interest in science fiction.

11. "I warped your childhood beyond all recognition." As true as this is, and I want to thank you for it either way, without thinking twice; can you explain what this means to you?
It's sort of a joke. If I helped make any kids out there grow up less "normal," then my work has been successful!

12. Was that your idea to put Thoth Street in Batman the Animated series?
No. If I called out every detail (like street signs) my scripts would be very long. It was probably put in by a producer or story editor as a joke: Thoth Khepera was a character in the series, though I never wrote for her. More likely, those, it was probably put in my background by a painter in Japan or Korea (wherever the animation was done) who didn't know what the word meant.

13. Any new projects on the way?
Yes, but I don't talk about my works in progress.

14. Have you ever consciously incorporated symbolism from the mystery cults or Occult into any of your shows? I.e. Jem having 7 pointed star earrings for example
LoL.

15. Was there a general understanding that the Transformers, Ninja Turtles, and many of the other aesthetic archetypes featured in the animated works you were a part of; suppose to directly reflect subtle truths that we were in fact- a race seeded by extraterrestrials via genetic manipulation, and/or to display those truths in a way that was palatable to children? In other words did the success of some of these shows pivot upon the concept that conditioning children to a potential reality ascertaining their true origin on Earth- part of a conscious marketing agenda on your part, or just a happy accident?
The answer to all of the above is: No.

No comments:

Post a Comment